Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Larry's First Day!














Monday morning, rise and shine! Larry had his first day back in the corporate world. He looks pretty good in his sports jacket, shirt and tie and slacks. Oh don't forget the shoes, I don't think his feet will be the same again. After wearing sandals for five years and now dress shoes. He did clean up pretty good though. I can't wait for his Dad to see this picture, it's been so long for this type of dress, I don't think he'll recognize his son.

After a few hours of showing him around and introducing him to his coworkers he got thrown right into a meeting. Not just any meeting but one he is to be the lead. They gave him a break for this one but I'm sure not the next one. They kept him busy for the day and it sounds like today will be much of the same.

On occasion the owners give a happy hour after work for their employees and spouses. Larry just happened to start on the day they had one scheduled. They stopped work at 3:30 and went to the roof patio of the building for drinks and snacks. I forgot to mention this roof has a splendid view of the Capital building. I think this will be a good place for Larry to come out of retirement for a few years. They not only compensate their employees well, they recognize a need for occasional breaks from the norm.

Larry arrived home excited to tell me the days activities, a good sign. We both agree we love the city thus far and now it looks like he will love his job. We have been down to the yacht club several times now and each time feel very welcome. With all that we should have a good few years here semi on land in Washington, DC.

Your probably wondering what I did all day when Larry left. Fear not I had plenty to do. The boat was in desperate need of a cleaning in and out. I didn't want to waist the last few days before Larry went to work doing tasks on the boat so we didn't. I sat for a few moments and pondered being all alone for the day then went to work. I cleaned done below and threw things no longer of use away and packed away the rest. In Spring in DC the bug population is immense and our cockpit was just plastered. I set about scrubbing the cushions and fiberglass. It looked good when I got done but this morning there are more. Hopefully when spring ends so will they.

Today I start my training at West Marine I have to be there at 2 PM but will leave the boat at 12:30 PM. It will take me about an hour walking to and from the transit and riding on the transit to get there. I do the same thing on Thursday and next week I'll be put on a regular schedule of two days a week. I don't have to dress up like Larry but will wear a West Marine shirt and khaki shorts or pants. Larry already gave me a shopping list of things we need. The discount sure does make a difference. I'm sure I also will enjoy working, so far everyone there seems friendly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home