Thursday, August 31, 2006

Tasks Coming to a Close


I finished mounting the KISS Wind Generator a couple of weeks ago but being in the creek, I did not get to test the system. When Gail and I took our grandsons with us to the Thousand Islands the system was tested. We had many days of 20 knot winds and in those winds the batteries were fully charged. From what we have heard and read, we can plan on 5 to 20 knot winds in the Bahamas so the wind generator should work out well for us. The winds will get to 35 knots when a cold front rolls through from the north so we should have sufficient wind!

The wind generator was the last of the major jobs I had planned for the boat this summer. The one remaining 'job' for this season is to replace our primary anchor rode (50' 5/16 chain with 150 foot line) with 200' of 5/16 G4 chain. The current primary rode will be moved to the secondary anchor. Next season I will install solar panels to compliment the wind power.

I received my certificate from the Mariner's School recently. Now that I have that I can submit my paperwork to the Coast Guard for my USCG Captain's license. So over the next three weeks I am busy filling out paperwork, drug test, taking the 'oath' at a USCG Regional Test Site which is 6 hours away, getting finger printing, getting a physical and taking a CPR/First Aid class. Pretty busy 3 weeks. It seems strange to be taking a standard American Red Cross First Aid course after being a NYS EMT for close to 20 years and teaching EMT classes for the NYS Health department. But since I am no longer a firefighter or ambulance medic, I do not have a sponsor to get my EMT updated. Can't wait to start the trip south so I can relax!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home