Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Waiting For a Weather Window in No Name Harbor















My connection is good today and these are the images. This is sunrise in Boot Key Harbor the morning we left.














This is one of the beautiful sunsets we were treated to in No Name Harbor! Just beautiful isn't it?

I'm not surprised, as usual I'm having difficulty loading pictures on this site in No Name Harbor. We are a short distance form Miami but non the less on a Key or Island. I was hoping the third time was a charm but it didn't happen so I gave up. Not a quitter but will settle for text. I will try later when we go for fuel and water.

We left Marathon at sunrise one week ago yesterday, Monday and traveled the Hawk Chanel to Rodriguez and anchored on the ENE side for protection form the wind and waves. It was a quiet night with about four other boats at anchor. The Hawk Chanel in case you are not familiar with it is the water of the Atlantic Ocean the runs between the Islands of the Keys and the Great Barrier Reef running parallel to the Keys. It serves as protection form the heavier wind and waves of the open ocean. If this route is not favorable there is always the ICW route on the Florida Bay side, located between the mainland of Florida and Keys.

Tuesday morning we lifted anchor at sunrise and arrived at Key Biscayne in early afternoon, just as the wind and waves were increasing. A front was to come in from the North and get ugly. We were very happy to be safely tucked in at No Name Harbor. The heavy weather continued for the week but we have a window tonight of SW winds 10 to 15 knots and waves of 2 to 4 feet. We will leave at midnight to night. It should be a comfortable ride in the Golf stream. The stream runs from the South and goes North so anything in the wind with a North component is not advisable, unless you are into punishment. I think not! This is suppose to be fun right?

We have enjoyed the week here in No Name but are getting anxious to be under way. We have met new boaters and visited with friends of past years. It's been fun sharing stories from our adventures and watching the sun set on the horizon. We plan to set sail with two other boats tonight. Even though they will go faster due to the length and engine power it is comforting to know if a problem does arise someone is close by to assist.

We will be suspending our cell phone service and Internet service today because of the cost for international calls and lack of service. Our plan is to buy a calling card when we arrive and use the wi-fi that is available. When we get service I will update this site as much as possible. I hope I will be able to load pictures, I imagine they will be spectacular.

1 Comments:

Blogger Awake In Rochester said...

I couldn't upload any pictures on blogger until I switched my browser to Mazilla Firefox. I don't know if that will help your particular problem, but thought I would mention it.

By the way we have had so many storms that are mixed precipitation here it's ridiculous. Snow, sleet, freezing rain, making for a coating of ice, with snow on top. Very slippery stuff. It seems like it's once a week that we get them. It's been a difficult winter. 2 more medium sized storms are coming this week. I can't wait until spring!

I hope to see you back online soon. Be safe.

10:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home